Friday, July 17, 2009

Bang a Gong (well, actually a Jing)

Thursday dawned with a very heavy rain coming down (I am told that it is monsoon season here although there has not been too much rain.) The rock steps that we walk up on our way to class had a river running down them. My 6000 won umbrella has definitely paid for itself by now.
In the morning we had a Canadian that works at the U.N. Memorial Cemetery Korea (in Busan) here to lecture us on the Korean war. His lecture was very interesting (first time in 3 weeks there were basically no students talking during the lecture) but his personal story was even more interesting. He was adopted as a child and found out 3 years ago that his birth father was killed in the Korean war (with the PPCLI at the famous battle at Kapyong) and his single mother (his parents were engaged) gave him up so he would have a good life. After finding out information on his father he made a pilgrimage to Korea and while here had a revelation that he should move to Korea. He returned to Canada, sold all his possessions and moved to Korea with no job and no plan and within a few months he was working at the cemetery and had already talked to several people that knew his father. It was very interesting.

In the afternoon we heard a samulnori performance (traditional Korean folk music). It was an amazing performance, how they can stay together for that amount of time and at that pace is really amazing. After their first performance we were allowed to go on stage and try any or all of the instruments, there was a Kwaengwari (a small cross between a gong and a symbol), a Buk (bass type drum), a Jing (a small gong), and a Janggu (a double sided drum.) I gave the Jing a whirl and it was fun. The sound vibrates for a very long time. The group then performed another song, this time with more elaborate costumes (including hats with long tassels that swirled as they moved their heads) and instead of sitting they danced around the stage. After the performance we were able to get our pictures with the performers. When I got my picture taken with one of them he grabbed me and gave me a big hug and that was my picture with him. I find people have less expectation of personal space when dealing with the same sex in this country than we do and it always takes me back abit when someone is in my personal space here although because I know it is the culture I do not let it bother me.

Last night I finally started my essay and got about a page done before deciding I was not happy with it and grinding to a standstill. I will give it another try tonight after finishing my blog.

After two days of rain, the sun came out with a vengeance today. And it was horribly humid. This being the case we were of course scheduled to spend the entire day outside. This was my second trip to Gyenongju (I went there last Saturday with my homestay.) Today we went to the museum (which I did not go to last week) and looked at various relics from the area. For a little background, Gyeongju was the capital of the Silla Kingdom that unified the Korean peninsula in 668 A.D. We then went to the Bulguksa Temple and Seokgulam Grotto (both of which I visited last weekend.) This time I was in a group that included the coordinator for the program. He was able to tell us quite a bit about the places and the tour with him was very informative and worth the second trip. At the grotto I was able to get climbed up the hill before most of the group and able to enter the cave just as some other people were leaving. Another person and I had the grotto to ourselves for a minute and it was nice to be able to observe the huge Buddha statue (the biggest Buddha statue in Korea at 3.48 meters high) in silence even just for that period of time.

By the time we got back to the school I think it is safe to say that everyone in the group was totally wiped out. The showers on our floor went for more than an hour straight as everyone refreshed before heading out for supper.

Tomorrow I will put the finishing touches on my essay and enjoy my last full weekend in Ulsan. Several people are heading to Busan for the weekend and I am tempted to go along as I would like to go to the UN cemetery (we actually go to Busan on Monday and visit the cemetery but we are only there for an hour and I would like longer), but I can't really justify making the trip just to do that so I will find something to do here in the city.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment