Monday, July 20, 2009

Busan Revisited

My weekend was pretty quiet. I went for a couple of beer with Andrew on Friday night and then spent Saturday finishing my essay and catching up on a few things like trying to get all my things organized for the next leg of my trip. Saturday night I headed for supper with friends and then hooked up with another group of friends to go few a few drinks, overall it was pretty calm. Sunday it rained quite heavy most of the day and I just read and played around on the computer heading out at suppertime to find something to eat (the rain had finally stopped by then.)

My tourist information book for Busan is titled "Everyone wants to revisit Busan," and this must be true because I made my second trip there today (third if you count my flight in.) Today we went as part of the program's itinerary.

As with my last trip to Busan, I really found I did not have enough free time to really see things I wanted to see (although we did have 4+ hours of free time.) One thing that I wanted to do and that we did as a class, was visit the United National Memorial Cemetery in Korea. Unfortunately, it turned into an experience that just bothered/angered me alot. There just seem to be so many in the group who have no respect for the sacrifices that were made. It especially surprised me when that it was mainly Korean and Americans, the two countries that had the biggest losses in the Korean War. People still found it necessary to constantly laugh and joke around. I thought it was disrespectful, especially considering that the father of our tour guide (a Canadian named Leo Demay who grew up in North Battleford and Regina) is interred in the cemetery. I realize that it is maybe that most of the people here are very young and have too much energy, or that maybe they have never had the misfortune of losing someone close to them, or just that I am a crotchety old bastard, but the antics really bothered me and I think if they were not interested they should have stayed on the bus. I also realize that when I was that age, many of the people I knew were just as indifferent towards the soldiers that fought for our freedom in World War II and it is unfortunate but maybe simply a product of the freedom that those people died for is the right to forget or simply not care.


Afterwards we stopped at Haeundae Bathing Beach where we had a picnic of McDonald's followed by free time. I hopped on the Subway and went back to the world's biggest mall to buy a magazine that I wanted and look into going skating at the ice rink that is there. I picked up a photo magazine that is mainly in Korean that I hope to use to learn some more Korean but I did not feel like spending the 7000 won to go skating so I went up to the rooftop lounge and took in the views of the city for a while.

I then went in search of the Olympic Park (Sculpture Park) but had no luck in locating it so stopped back at the Busan Museum of Modern Art to look at the sculpture they have outside (unfortunately the museum was closed.) Not having a watch and only having a vague idea of the time, I hopped back on the subway and headed back to the beach to meet up with the group. Unfortunately I was an almost an hour early so I just hung out and chatted with some of the other students.

The next stop was the Busan Aquarium where we were able to view aquatic life ranging from fish, octopus, penguins, eels, rays, and sharks. It was quite interesting. We then had another couple hours to find some supper and meet back at the buses. I went with a group to a 3d ride and then we went looking for some supper. While at the aquarium a couple of the girls bought some assorted dolphin memorabilia for Laura so I am sure we were quite the site walking around with the blond girl wearing dolphins on her head and holding a large dolphin balloon.\We wandered around the area by the beach for a wile looking for a restaurant and finally settled on TGI Fridays where Jess told the waitress it was Laura's birthday and she was serenaded by several of the wait staff and given a photograph to mark the occasion.

After a long day we finally got back to Ulsan after 9 and relaxed for a while before turning in.

Tuesday we learn about North Korea and Korean cooking, should be interesting.





Take care. Dion

No comments:

Post a Comment