Thursday, July 23, 2009

Kickin' Around Ulsan and Keepin' Things in Order

Wow 4 weeks have really flown by! It is hard to believe I have been living in the Republic of Korea for almost 4 weeks. I have seen some amazing things and made alot of new friends that I hope I hope I will have for life. If not, I know I am a better person for knowing so many people from so many diverse backgrounds.

In the morning yesterday (Wednesday) our scheduled class was a second look at International Development Cooperation of Korea. Lucky for us (it was not very exciting the first time around) the class was actually on Korea spirit and culture. The class was put on by the Diamond Sultra Recitation Group (?) and involved a several displays and a short movie on some of the cultural treasures of Korea (the Seokgulam Grotto and the Kamunsa Temple Sarira Reliquary). This was followed by a live performance of a ritual performed by a family that entails children bowing to their parents in something that is done on the lunar new year. It was very interesting and several people from class had the opportunity to go up front and play the role of the parent. The 2 children were probably under 6 years old and looked so cute in their traditional Korean clothing. Of course I did not bring my camera because I thought we were covering something else so I do not have any pictures but I will be sure to get some from some of the others.



The afternoon was our Taekwondo class. I admit that I was dreading this class due to the fact I am not in the best shape of my life and am not the most coordinated person in the world. Add the fact that I have not seen one piece of clothing in this country that actually fits me and I was not real excited. The gymnasium was extremely hot and the outfit (uniform?) was more like a canvass than anything else meaning it had no breathing ability at all. But hey, the bonus was that it actually fit me (more or less)! Before we got our turn, the group gave us a demonstration that was an amazing combination of skill and showmanship. After the show, I went through the steps of doing the stretches and learning the punches, kicks, and blocks and have to admit that although I was absolutely pouring sweat (as was everyone thanks to the heat) I really quite enjoyed it. I am sure my form was absolutely horrible but I enjoyed it no less. At the end of the session we were allowed to try to break a board with either our foot and I was able to accomplish it with 1 kick (the boards are not exactly hardwood, but hey give me credit anyways.)



In the evening I went with some friends to our favorite BBQ restaurant and after some good socializing I returned to the dorms early and called it an early night.



Today was our final class of the program. Like I said it is hard to believe I have been through 4 weeks of the program already. It has been a great time and I could stay longer but definitely miss Rebecca so much and am looking forward to seeing her on Monday in Beijing. Our class this morning was on globalization and basically covered topics I have studied in many classes in the last year so it was definitely not very exciting. the last 3 classes before this one were really good (the best of the program) so today was a little disappointing but I realize not every topic is exciting for every person.



This afternoon we visited the Ulsan city hall and council chambers. We were welcomed by the deputy mayor in a conference room that had numerous photographers and cameramen. After watching a "10 minute promotional video" (everyplace we have gone in Ulsan has had a 10 minute promotional video that tends to be over the top and narrated by the same over the top American announcer.) Don't get me wrong, the video was good (as all were) I just find the whole situation amusing. We then had a group photo and then moved on to the city council chambers.



At the chambers we were welcomed by the vice-chairman. While he was giving his introduction speech, the coordinator of the program told me that they wanted to do an official presentation of a gift to a member of the program (on behalf of all members of the program) and asked me to go up. Within 10 seconds I was up in front of everyone accepting the gift while having my picture taken by numerous photographers. I did my best to remember all of the Korean gift giving/receiving rules (such as receiving the gift with both hands) and hopefully I did not offend anyone.




After that part of the ceremony, our class was given use of the chambers in order to have a debate. They asked for someone to chair the debate and several people volunteered me as the person to do so. So I went up to the chairman's seat (which is on an elevated platform) and called the meeting to order with three bangs of the gavel. The topics we debated revolved around North Korea and nuclear weapons (these topics both together and separate.) There were several good points brought up and I think the debate went well (even though people were very shy about coming and giving their opinion in most cases). I have had several people tell me that I did a good job as chairperson so whether I did or they are just being nice I will assume I did well. lol



Almost half the class stayed down by the city hall to do some sightseeing and find some new restaurants but I came back with the buses and had a quick supper and after finishing this post will spend the night reviewing for our final exam tomorrow. From what we have been previewed and I am thinking the exam should be very easy (we can do part of it tonight if we want, a question on our opinions on the program.) I would still like to do well on the exam (even though the class is only marked as a pass/fail) so I think I will spend the remainder of the evening reviewing and possible writing my answer to the essay question.




Tomorrow afternoon is our graduation ceremony followed by a celebration and then everyone plans on getting together and going out one more time while we are still together (some people actually leave tomorrow but most leave between Saturday and Monday.)



Anyways, wish me luck and have a great day.



An Engrish sign near the dorms, I usually don't post stuff like this but this was too funny.













No comments:

Post a Comment